Monday 10 April 2017

Change of plan.

No matter how much you plan, nothing will ever go as you expect it to.
I had my route all sorted out....leave Seattle and head south mostly via the coast, but Mother Nature has been at work and part of my coastal route south of San Francisco is cut off due to landslips and a bridge has been demolished and needs to be rebuilt.

So now I will go inland which I don't mind at all. When I was in America two years ago my good friend Alan and I drove the coastal route through Big Sur, so now I get to see a new part of California!



There is an alternative route that takes me inland instead, and while I was looking at my different options it suddenly occurred to me that I actually have enough time up my sleeve to add extra places to my itinerary.
So the new plan is to catch a train from Seattle to Vancouver and explore the islands in the Georgia Strait and Vancouver Island, then head southwards again and join up to my original route.


So I have added an extra 500km to my trip, but have plenty of time to do this. And if I do run short of time, there is always the train south! My very flexible itinerary has me biking for about 55 days with an extra 17 days up my sleeve for rest days.


It is only 38 days until I leave (but who's counting). Birdy has been in the workshop to get new cables, chain, front rings, rear cassette and a few other things. I have bought up the rest of the gear I need...dry bags, compression bag for my sleeping bag, first aid stuff, tools, more lights for my bike, new tyres and other essential equipment.


I have acquired a travelling companion! My friend Elsie has knitted up a wee kiwi for me to take on the road. With having 72 days on the road I may be in need of a familiar ummm face!



He even has his own cape in case of bad weather!



Bike rides are continuing in the hope that I will get more bike fit. Everyone says you get stronger each day as you bike on tour, but I want to start out feeling strong and fit. Hopefully I can fit in a couple more overnight trips away but with this autumnal weather right now, finding a couple of good days in a row when I can take time off work is tricky. 

Had a wonderful ride this afternoon....only 32 kms but a few really good hills and the afternoon could not have been more perfect. Still and sunny with just a slight nip in the air.

Just a few random shots from todays ride.











As much as I love biking where I live, to be biking along coastal roads or amongst the giant redwood trees and not on gravel roads for most of the time, is something I am really looking forward to.

"The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly without fear for a newer and richer experience."

Eleanor Roosevelt


1 comment:

  1. Such a great trip! Kiwi needs a name and a perch somewhere on Birdy (even if kiwis don't normally perch - do they?!)
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete